Find Us On Facebook

Recent

t

It’s difficult to be a comedian in Nigeria’ – Gbenga Adeyinka

The ‘comedian of the Federal Republic’ sat down with NET to discuss the story of his transformation…
 What’s your own definition of comedy?
To me, comedy is the act of getting people to laugh, but I belong to the school of thought that says comedy should not just be for comedy alone, it should stand for entertainment, education and an element for change. Once you can elicit laughter whether with music or by talking, then you are doing comedy.
Have you ever done anything apart from comedy since the inception of your career?
Well, since I made up my mind to be a comedian, I have not done any other thing. Everything I have done has been related to comedy; my comedy magazine, my TV programmes, my shows, everything, because I believe that’s my calling.
 What was your career path before you decided to go into comedy?
Immediately after I graduated from school, I worked at radio Benue as a presenter and on air personality, I later came to Lagos to work with my uncle in Sparklight engineering, working in the corporate affairs department. Then I worked in an agency as a copy writer and head of production, but I later discovered myself and went into children’s entertainment, and from there, comedy got me. Since then, I have been doing comedy fully.
What’s the distinction between a comedian and a compere?
A comedian is that person who just comes and tells you jokes, while a Compere is a person who does straight MC-ing, but in recent times, a comedian should be able to crack jokes and at the same time hold your event professionally, and I think that’s where I have an edge over other colleagues.
So would you say you are a compere or a comedian?
I consider myself a compere/comedian (laughs)
Comedy and music are fast growing in Nigeria, which one do you believe is the most entertaining?
It is very difficult to put a trap on entertainment, what appeals to Mr. A might not appeal to Mr. B. Comedy has grown over the years, its gone through a tremendous change. Music has also grown a lot, it has put Nigeria in the face of the world, with the likes of 2face, D’banj, and 9ice, who have done so marvelously well. But I think its more difficult to be a comedian in Nigeria now. My reasons are simple, if you invite a musician to play in your show, he/she will definitely sing old tracks because that’s what you actually paid for and what people want to hear, but if a comedian tries that, I can bet such person will have no single fan.  For music, once somebody cooks a beat for you, people will dance, but if a comedian does the same thing repeatedly, people will complain. But I don’t mean to say musicians are not trying.
So you believe comedy is more of hard work than music?
Yes.
You’re known as the host of most Star events,  don’t you feel restricted?
I don’t feel restricted in anyway because it’s like being married to a woman, do you feel restricted? You have to take what you have and luckily for me, Star has been loyal to me for more than nine years now, in fact I have gotten many jobs through my anchoring of Star shows, so for me, Star is the best thing that has happened to me. When I was a nobody, they took me to 36 states in the country and then I started calling myself the CFR because there is no village in the country I have not been to, thanks to Star Quest, and Star Mega Jam. So, for me it’s been a fantastic experience and for those who think I am restricted, (singing) attitude mo fi njo……… (Laughs).
Who/what is your inspiration in comedy?
My inspiration in comedy is my experience with theatre 15 back in my University days, because when I was in Unilag, there was no theatre department, so a set of 15 people formed a theatre group. I liked making people laugh, so I decided to venture into comedy and from there people on campus started calling me for MC jobs, so I will say theatre 15 gave me the foundation.
 Is there no particular person that inspired you?
Alibaba was a source of inspiration to me because when I started comedy I had a lot of challenges from my family, but I was like, since this guy can live well with this job, I must make it too.
Did you meet him in person?
Yes I did. I was doing my children entertainment thing at a friends party, while Alibaba was the MC. So one of my university friends saw me and introduced me to Alibaba, and he handed over the microphone to me and I did some jokes. After the show, he advised me to venture into comedy, but my parents never supported it. I grew up in a comfortable family that didn’t want to see me doing comedy like Babasala.
Talking about family, what was growing up like?
Growing up was fun and lively. I hear a lot of comedians saying they were very poor when they were small but my story isn’t like that. I was that kid who was always locked in the room, but always wanted to be on the street. I grow up with my grandmother and I was very stubborn, they all believed she was spoiling me, so they would come and take me away, but by the time I showed them pepper, they would take me back. One of my uncles, Engineer Adeyinka, took me with him and kind of modeled my life and I think he is a major player in my remodelling of life.
Can you recall your most embarrassing moment(s)?
Laughs… it was when I first started, I was contracted for a wedding and when I got to the venue, I discovered there was no musical band at all, so I called the brides father and he screamed at me ‘you are the one providing music o, don’t spoil my wedding o’, I quickly organised a band, but after the show, the man refused to pay, saying ‘I saw you sweating when you were anchoring so I wont pay’. Thanks to the daughter that later collected my money for me and even added 5k, the initial balance was 15k.
 What’s your sweetest memory so far?
For me, my best memory doing this job is when I was at an event and after the event, somebody walked up to me and handed over a huge amount, in foreign currency. I never expected that; I didn’t even know him.
 Throughout your career, who have you enjoyed meeting most?
(sigh) I have met quite a lot of people but the first day I met Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, my day seemed fulfilled.  I didn’t know comedy could take me that far. I have met presidents and senators, so all this has been unbelievable. My story is of that young boy that pursued his dream and God blessed.
 Now to laffmatazz, is laffmattazz a profitable venture?
It’s a huge success, we didn’t lose money, but I didn’t make up to what I would have loved to make. It was a financial success, and everybody with me on the show has a reason to smile, and when my children resume, I can afford to pay their school fees. That is enough to call it a success.
Ibadan is seen to be less entertaining than Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt, Why bring the show there?
My decision to go to Ibadan was spiritual, it might sound funny but that’s the truth. God told me to go there but I was reluctant at first. Later I realised Ibadan is the home of comedy, the likes of Baba Sala, Baba mero, Ajimajasan and more, in fact, Ibadan gave television to Nigeria and it was through comedy. To be realistic, I think Lagos is too ‘showitically arrogant, we are too entertainment arrogant’, we believe that everything starts and end in Lagos, but it’s not true. I have had better shows outside Lagos from my Star experience.
 What do you think brought the audience out?
It was a combination of everything. Some people would have come because of Gbenga Adeyinka, some for 9ice, some for Eedris Abdulkareem.
Laff up was no doubt one of the comedy stars for the show, what is your relationship with him?

I did not meet Laff up until I went for a show in Ibadan, he approached me and I gave him a chance to crack jokes. After his performance, I just got connected to him. I tell people to get good on their art, and people will run after you. The reason I like Laff up is the fact that he is talented, no doubt. He calls me Asiwaju and I call him Bobagunwa. I like him; he is somebody who is putting his heart to it.
Who to you is currently the best comedian?
The best comedian in Nigeria now is everybody practicing comedy; it is difficult to say somebody is better than the other because there are varieties to approach. People will come and go, but what matters is longevity. I have seen a lot of young people who will shake Nigeria but if I tell them now, it will get to their head. So for me, everybody doing comedy is the best in their personal delivery.
If you could change anything in comedy, what would you change?
That everybody can just call himself a comedian. There should be a weeding process, but I think they can still get better since they are still young. Same thing with music, Nigeria has the highest number of musicians anywhere in the world, everybody believes they can sing.
What do you do for leisure?
I love music, I watch football and I support the best football team in the world, Arsenal, and I work very hard. I belong to the school of thought that says that ‘omo to ba sise deede, oje ko lasiko igbadun’ [Translation: One that works hard should also have time for pleasure], though I party responsibly, I don’t do drugs or any irresponsible acts. As a peace ambassador to the United Nations, I watch myself, but I have fun.
Finally, NET will be clocking 2 later this month, what’s your message for us?
The story of NET is the story of resilience, never say die, continuity and more. When (ATG) Ayeni left Punch, people said he was mad but two years after, the craziness has shown a huge success. Congratulations NET, keep it up, I believe in you. Thank you for partnering with us. God Bless NET! WE LOVE YOU.

SOURCE NET
Previous
Next Post »

Sponsor

author

This post was written by:

PRO 5Star/World Famous DJ CHASCOLEE _________ With the later out-burst of various circle racers, just a couple emerge, obviously our audit isolates DJ Chascolee from the plenty of slapdash DJs *Cooperate Parties Events *Wedding *Birthday *Indoor&Out Door Events *Pro Club & Radio Dj ?#?IamUrPartyTurnUpDj? *Dj Mixtape & Artist Promotions Book Us Now Google Dj Chascolee Contact/Book Ur Pro Dj Chascolee now +2348055341964 +2347034456612 TWITTER/INSTAGRAM: @djchascolee FACEBOOK: Dj chascolee Entertainment BBM: 59081195 www.djchascolee.com EMAIL Djchascolee@gmail.com

Get Free Email Updates to your Inbox!

Events